We often have multiple calls open at once, so please scroll down to see more!
*Extended*Now Accepting Poems About Salem, MA
FunDead Publications is now accepting poetry submissions about Salem,MA, or poems SET IN Salem, MA. Submissions for this collection close
April 30th, 2017 May 31, 2017. While we enjoy many forms of poetry, we are specifically looking for classic styles, especially poems that tell a story, history, lore, or folk tale revolving around our home city of Salem. We welcome poems about witch culture in Salem, but we’d also love story poems about the spice trade, pirates, or literary history. Be creative and think outside the box! We’d also love poems about the cemeteries, or other spooky locations in Salem. Remember, we are a gothic & horror publisher, so the darker the better! Things we love: The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes, The Lady of Shalott by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, ANY POEM by Edgar Allen Poe, Rain on a Grave by Thomas Hardy, A Reminiscence by Anne Brontë, The Haunted Beach by Mary Darby Robinson. While poetry does not have to rhyme, we do enjoy when it does, but it is not a requirement for this anthology.
Instructions: Send your submission by midnight on
4/30/17 5/31/17 to DearFunDead@gmail.com for consideration with “Salem Poetry Submission” as the subject line, but please read our guidelines below!
Content Requirements: Poems must revolve around the subject of Salem, MA, be set IN Salem, MA, or discuss Salem, MA. All forms of poetry, traditional or free verse will be considered for print, though we are partial to traditional styles. We’d like to try to keep pieces below 2200 words each, so please keep this in mind as you write. We will allow up to TWO submissions per person for this anthology. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept reprints at this time.
Required Information: Please include your first and last name, phone number, e-mail address, and mailing address on your submission. When sending us your poem, please include information about yourself and your writing/publishing history in the body of the e-mail, as well as any other relevant information.
Payment: Accepted submissions will be awarded payment in the way of $5 upon printing, as well as a printed copy of the book. Writers may choose to accept their $5 payment in the form of an extra copy of the anthology. It may not be much, but we are a small and humble press just getting our start and it’s all we can offer at this time apart from our excellent social media promotion and beyond. If your submission is accepted, you will also receive a printed copy of the anthology!
Response Time: Please be aware that it may be six to eight weeks before you receive a response from FunDead Publications, and because we are so tiny, sometimes we get a little behind. As the poetry anthologies do not have a set release date and a slower and lower submission level, you may not hear back until we have set the official release date (which will be announced by late May).
Diversity Statement: We at FunDead Publications believe diversity is what makes fiction wonderful and unique and we welcome submissions from writers of every race, religion, nationality, gender, and sexual orientation.
*EXTENDED* NOW ACCEPTING SALEM HALLOWEEN STORIES
slated for fall of 2017 (roughly early September for release, official title TBA). This will be a sister
anthology to our first release, Shadows in Salem, that came out in September of 2016. We want this collection to share the theme of Salem, MA ON HALLOWEEN NIGHT through the years. Set your story in 1955, set your story in 1999, that is up to you, but it must be dark, gothic, or horror related! We will post years that are submitted as they arrive in our e-mail so you can keep track and so we don’t have twenty stories set on Halloween night in 1626. We are from Salem, so we know the area well, as do our local readers, so please take that into consideration in your research! Some witches are okay, but please remember that there is so much more to this city than the witch history! We are hoping to select one story per decade for variety, but we do not expect to fill *every* decade between the founding of Salem (1626) and today. Our anthologies generally end up at around twenty stories, so keep in mind, you don’t have to limit yourself to the last 100 years.
- Instructions: Send your submission to DearFunDead@gmail.com for consideration with “Halloween Salem Submission“ AND THE YEAR YOUR STORY IS SET as the subject line, for example, “Halloween Salem Submission: 1922“, but please read our guidelines below!
- Submit by:
June 11th, 2017June 30th, 2017 Word Count: 1,000-6,000
- Content Requirements: Your story must take place in Salem, MA on Halloween (10/31). The time-period and content is your choice, but DO be unique and DO make it SPOOKY! We will continue posting a running list of the years/decades that have already been submitted to ensure you have a chance to pick a year that has not been submitted already. Of course, we are looking for the best, so if there are many submissions set in 1977, we’ll try to choose the best of them. Yes, Salem is ‘The Witch City’, so you can utilize this in your writing, but please be unique if you choose this subject matter!
- List of Years we’ve already received submissions for: Note: This list is NOT representative of accepted stories, it is *just* to show which years we have submissions for to help YOU (the writers) choose varying centuries/decades/eras to write about.
- 1629, 1851, 1865, 1881, 1886, 1901, 1937, 1950, 1961, 1901, 1970, 1973, 1979, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1992, 1998, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017 (3)
- Payment: Accepted submissions will be awarded payment in the way of $10 upon printing, paid via PayPal, along with a print copy of the anthology. Writers may also choose to accept their $10 payment in the form of extra copies of the anthology. It may not be much, but we are a small and humble press just getting our start and it’s all we can offer at this time, besides our excellent social media promotion and beyond (we post daily, often, and spotlight our writers regularly). If your submission is accepted, you will also receive a printed copy of the anthology!
- Format: Format should be in standard manuscript format and submitted as .doc,
.docx. Unfortunately, we cannot accept reprints at this time. Please include a brief cover letter introducing yourself along with your submission.
- Response Time: Please be aware that it may be six to eight weeks (or more) before you receive a response from FunDead Publications, we often wait until after the close date to send acceptance e-mails to ensure we select the best content for our readers. Our submission load is often fluctuating, but we read and respond as quickly as we can. If it is a simultaneous submission, please let us know.
- Diversity Statement: We at FunDead Publications believe diversity is what makes fiction wonderful and unique and we welcome submissions from writers of every race, religion, nationality, gender, and sexual orientation.